Rakuten is an online and in-store cashback app in Canada. You can earn up to 30% cashback using this app and is widely accepted in over 750+ stores across the country. Also, Rakuten offers 5,000+ coupon codes to help you to save even more apart from the cashback offered.
By the way, did you know that Ebates.ca is now officially Rakuten?
Another thing to note here is that Rakuten not only offers cashback for online-only purchases but for In-store purchases as-well.
In this article, let’s take a look at how to use Rakuten as a new first time user to this platform, how you can get the maximum discounts, what brands offer the best accounts. Now, let’s get started.
What Is Rakuten and How Does It Work?
Rakuten is a free cashback app In Canada. You can earn cash back for online as well as in-store purchases.
Rakuten is one of the leading global internet services company. It’s businesses span from e-commerce, mobile, banking, media and more. It was founded in 1997, and is headquartered in Tokyo and employs over 10,000 people worldwide.
By the way, did you know that the word “Rakuten” means “Optimism” in Japanese?
Cashback earned can be up to 30% max, there are over 5,000+ coupon codes also available.
Also, you’ll get a list of daily curated deals, available across multiple platforms – Android and iOS.
Rakuten’s support is great as well, with email, chat and social media support.
Almost all of the best and the biggest brands are available on this platform – Amazon.ca, GAP Canada, Indigo, Sephora, Nike, and Dell just to name a few.
First of all, Ebates is now officially Rakuten.
Ebates has been part of the Rakuten family since 2014, and taking the Rakuten name most accurately reflects who they are today, a company that gives you all the Cash Back.
Rakuten is exactly the same as the Ebates.ca site, but with a new name and logo. Within the past year, they have made some small changes to the colours and fonts.
You can log in to Rakuten using the same email address and password you’ve always used with Ebates. If you have trouble accessing your account, you can contact the user-friendly Member Services team for help!
Rakuten’s Cashback Offers On The Brands You Love
Here’s the list of cashback offers, offered by Rakuten on some of the biggest brands:
1. Amazon.ca – up to 6% cashback
2. Expedia.ca – up to 6% cashback
3. Hudsons Bay – 5% cashback
4. Indigo – unto 8% cashback
5. Microsoft – up to 7% cashback
6. Dyson – 6% cashback
7. Lenovo – 6% cashback
8. Roots – 5% cashback
9. Levis – 6% cashback
10. Pizza Pizza – 11% cashback
You can visit the link here to see the complete list of Rakuten’s 2X cashback offers
Rakuten’s In-Store Cashback Offers
Along with the online cashback offers, Rakuten also offers the in-store cashback offers too.
Let’s take a look at some of the best In-Store cashback offers offered by Rakuten.
1. Bed Bath & Beyond – 2% In-Store cashback
2. Johnston & Murphy – 5% In-Store cashback
3. Buy Buy Baby – 2% In-Store cashback
4. American Eagle – 1% In-Store cashback
5. Crocs – 5% In-Store cashback
6. Under Armour – 4% In-Store cashback
7. Reitman’s – 1% In-Store cashback
8. Davids Tea – 2% In-Store cashback
9. Love – 4% In-Store cashback
10. Additional Elle – 2% In-store cashback
To view the complete list of In-store cashback offers, click here
How Does Rakuten’s In-Store Cashback Offers Work?
First of all, login to your Rakuten account and navigate to the In-Store Cashback section.
Next, click on the “Add A New Card” link there.
One more thing, when you are adding the new card details, Rakuten doesn’t ask you for the credit card expiry date or the CVV number. That’s because they don’t need your complete credit card details to do any transactions. You are only linking your credit card that’s it.
Don’t worry you won’t be charged for anything now.
Once you have added your credit card, click on the “Link Offer” below each of the In-Store Offers.
Then, visit the store and do the shopping as usual, during checkout present the credit card you had linked before. That’s it your Rakuten’s cashback is on its way.
You can check the cashback earned in my account section, once logged in.
Rakuten’s Weekly Hot Deals
Rakuten has a dedicated section on its official website for the Weekly Hot Deals.
Here’s the list of a few of this week’s best deals that I’ve got:
1. Levis – Up To 60% Off + 5% Cashback
2. Banana republic – Take 40% Off on everything + 4% cashback
3. Le Chateau – 20% off on everything, Code – LC20CAREER + 5% cashback
4. Old Navy – 50% Off + 4% cashback
5. Walmart – $10 Off + 1% cashback
Now, again, those were only 5 out of the 100’s of listings I have in my Weekly Hot Deals.
You can visit the link here, once you sign up to view your personalized weekly hot deals.
Rakuten’s Chrome Plug-In and Cash Back Discount Coupons
How Do You Get Money From Rakuten?
It’s pretty easy to earn cash back and money from Rakuten.
In this section, I’ll quickly talk about my recent experience of using the Rakuten App to earn a cashback of 40%. That’s right 40% CASH BACK.
Rakuten Gift Shop
So how does the Rakuten’s gift shop work? Let’s look at that in this section.
All you need to do is, buy the gift card from Rakuten’s website. The gift card can be from any of your favourite stores, out of the 700+ options.
You can also buy gift cards online and get free shipping from Rakuten.
Once you start using the gift cards to shop, you’ll start earning the regular cashback.
You can visit the Rakuten Gift shop section by clicking on the link here
How Soon Will I Get Rakuten’s Cash Back Credited To My Account?
Most Cash Back rewards at Rakuten are credited within 48 hours.
Some stores, however, cannot confirm your purchase until the return period has elapsed and may take up to thirty days to confirm your Cash Back.
When Do I Get My Rakuten Cash Back Payment?
Once, Every 3 months, Rakuten will send you a Cash Back payment for purchases you’ve made during the previous quarter.
But if you’ve earned less than $5.01 Cash Back, they’ll carry over your money to the next cheque.
Purchases Posted Between Big Fat Cheque Sent
Jan 1 – Mar 31 May 15
Apr 1 – June 30 Aug 15
July 1 – Sept 30 Nov 15
Oct 1 – Dec 31 Feb 15
How Can I Receive My Rakuten Cash Back?
Rakuten offers several ways to receive payment and is constantly working on ways to pay you faster.
You need to visit My Account to view your Cash Back settings or go to Cash Back Method to change your settings.
Note that you must sign-in to change your Cash Back Method. Currently, Rakuten offers 3 ways to receive payment.
1) Big Fat Cheque: Rakuten sends a cheque directly to you – mailing fees are on them. You can change your personal settings (including your address) on the Settings page. Be sure your settings are updated before they send out a payment.
2) PayPal: They’ll deposit your payment in your PayPal account – the sender’s fees are on them. Just enter your full name and mailing address into your Address, Email & Password page for verification purposes. Your PayPal account must also be verified.
3) Electronic Amazon Gift Certificates: Redeem your Rakuten Cash Back in the form of an electronic Amazon.ca Gift Certificates. When your Cash Back is ready, Rakuten will send you an email with instructions on how to redeem your code for credits on Amazon.ca.
Is My Rakuten Canada Account The Same As My Rakuten.com Account?
No. If you already have a Rakuten.com account, you can use the same email and password on Rakuten.ca, but they are in fact, two separate accounts on two separate sites. You can certainly have an account on each site if you like.
Your Rakuten.com account activities will pay you Cash Back in US dollars, and Rakuten.ca will pay you Cash Back in Canadian dollars. The Cash Back amounts cannot be combined.
Rakuten App is available on both the Android and iOS platforms (iPhone and Android devices). I’ve personally been using the Rakuten App for several months now. BTW, the name of the iOS App is “Rakuten Ebates”, just to avoid confusion for old and existing Ebates customers.
Let me be frank, the app’s pretty intuitive and extremely easy to use.
When you first download the app, you’ll be asked to register/login to access the app.
Once you successfully log in to the app, you’ll be taken to the store page. You have a search tab right at the top of the app screen – where you can search for stores and active coupons sitewide.
Below this section, you can see all the stores list and all categories.
Then you have the “Trending Stores” and the cashback percentages for each of the stores. For example, the Amazon store is currently promoting a 5% cashback for all the purchases.
If you tap on the “Featured” tab in the Rakuten App, you’ll be able to see all Hot Deals, Favourites and 2X Cash Back offers. Again all these three are different tabs with individual offers.
Last but not least, you can see all the cash back you’ve earned in the “My Account” section of the app, which is located in the bottom right corner of the App.
Like I said, Rakuten’s mobile app is extremely user-friendly and well built, it is very easy to get started with the App and earn cashback.
How To Register For Rakuten?
1. Join Rakuten By Clicking The Link Here And Earn $10 BONUS FREE MONEY [Rakuten’s Canadian website]
2. Click on the “Join Now” link in the top right side of the homepage
2. Here you have two options to sign-up. First, sign-up to Rakuten using your Facebook account, or second enter your email Id and password. Then click on “Join Now”
3. Then, you’ll see a pop up that says “Forgot Cash Back Again? Get Rakuten Express and activate Cash Back directly on store sites”. If you are browsing the site through Chrome, click on the “Add To Chrome, Its Free” button.
4. Once you add the Rakuten plugin to your Chrome browser, next you’ll see this screen.
5. Next, you’ll see that you are already logged in to Rakuten
6. Now, click on the search bar at the top middle part of the screen which says “Search Stores or coupons”
For Example, type Amazon In the search box and you’ll see the auto-suggestions and the cashback it offers. In this example, Amazon’s offering a cashback off up to 6% which you can see directly from the suggested search.
Rakuten’s Actual Store Page – Case Study
So, now you have already searched for Amazon.ca store in the previous section. Click Enter.
You’ll be taken to the Amazon Canadian Store page.
Here’ you’ll be able to see the following sections :
1. Up to 6% cashback and “Shop Now” button
2. You’ll also be able to see the Bonus Week Promotions and Bonus Week Deals
3. Then you’ll see very useful and helpful store details like:
1.This store ships to Canada
2. The store accepts Canadian Store
3. Duty-Free Shopping
4. How Does this work?
4. Next, you can see the “Average Days to Report Cashback – 7 Days” – What this means is that how soon after buying at amazon.ca, you’ll be able to see the cashback credited to your Rakuten account.
5. Also, to the right-hand side of the page – you’ll see Amazon’s categories and the cashback percentages for each of the categories mentioned.
6. Next, you’ll see “What’s Hot This Week” section – Here’s you will see a couple of categories descent cashback offers.
7. Below, that you will see the Amazon.ca Promo Codes and Coupons section – In this part, you will see all promo codes and coupons for amazon store.
8. Below that, you’ll find the Amazon.ca Shopping secrets section where you will find some useful information about amazon store
So all this information we just spoke about, was for Amazon store.
Similarly, every store page at Rakuten has a similar set-up, there’s plenty of useful information to the user before he or she continues to the shopping site.
Last but not least, once you click on the Shop now button on the Amazon store page, you’ll be taken to the amazon.ca site from where you’ll earn cashback.
Rakuten is an amazing and fantastic cashback player in the market.
Almost every place you shop is usually on the 700+ stores that Rakuten has partnered with for earning cash backs.
The website is very intuitive and has tons of information, especially the individual store pages. The cashback percentage is good too!
Also, redeeming the cashback earned is great as well with three options to get your money.
Overall, my review of Rakuten is very positive. There’s nothing you need to pay for signing up. Give it a try, I’m sure you will like it.
Please share this article if you like the content, and leave your comments below.
Top 10 Latest & Popular Posts
- Unlimited cash back earning potential
- Very reliable in terms of cashback payments
- Present in US and Canada, lots of stores to earn cashback
- Payment for previous quarter, in the next quarter
- Cashbacks credited to the account might take upto 30 days sometimes
- Android App UX can be better