Are you looking to open a new CRA My Account? No Problem, I’ve you covered here.
In this article, I will provide you with the exact step-by-step process so that by the end of this article, you should be pretty clear on opening a new CRA My Account. Alright then let’s get started.
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
For all the Newbies to Canada and the term CRA, CRA stands for Canada Revenue Agency.
The CRA is a Canadian federal agency that regulates tax laws for the Canadian government and for most provinces and territories.
All the tax deductions that are withheld from an employee’s Gross pay, such as federal and provincial income tax, CPP contributions and EI premiums, are sent to the CRA and then dispersed to the appropriate government department.
The CRA also monitors compliance on behalf of governments across Canada.
CRA’s head office is located in Ottawa and it is divided up into five regions for administrative purposes – Atlantic, Quebec, Ontario, Prairie, and Pacific. Each region contains tax services offices that carry out a variety of duties, such as audits and collections.
CRA My Account Services
Now that we know about the CRA and who they are, let’s dive down a bit deeper into the topic of this article – CRA My Account Services.
The CRA My Account is the online service available via the Canada Revenue Agency’s website where you can access your personal (individual) or business income tax (example – small business owners or business owners) information securely.
Opening a new Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) My Account and getting your CRA access code is pretty easy and straight-forward.
You can definitely make your life easier with tension-free access to your tax returns and benefits – including childcare payments, CPP information? Consider registering for a CRA My Account today – Its a must to if you’re planning to reside and stay in Canada.
Benefits Of Registering To The CRA My Account Services
First of all, let’s divide the CRA benefits into two categories – Individual or Personal Accounts (used majorly by individuals) and second Business Account Owners.
A point to note here is – CRA My Account or CRA services, in general, undergoes a daily maintenance schedule which is usually for a couple of minutes at some part of the day.
Apart from that, the online CRA My Account services are pretty much always available and can be accessed most part of the days and seven days a week. This makes it a much easier way to obtain your important information.
Trust me logging in online is way better than having to call the CRA and waiting to speak to a representative.
Online CRA services are very good and useful. You have all the information in the digital format ready. Unless you’ll have to call the CRA toll free number for some technical system issues.
The information and benefits you can access directly via your My Services Account will vary depending on the type of account.
CRA Individual Account Benefits
In this section, I will list the individual account benefits available online by logging into your CRA My Account (for individuals).
Benefits Of The Individual CRA Account
1. You can view or print your Income Tax Returns (ITR) and a notice of assessment (current and previous years)
2. Also, you will be able to view or print your tax information including T4, T4A, T4A (P), T4E, T4 (OAS), T5 and more
3. Make changes to your tax return online
4. Once you file your personal income taxes, you will be able to track your tax refund and when you will get it
5. You can also apply for and view your child benefits such as the Canada Child Benefit (CCB)
6. You’ll be able to check your RRSP deduction limit and TFSA contribution room available for the year
7. If you planning to buy a new home, you’ll be able to view the Home Buyers’ Plan (HBP) and Lifelong Learning Plan statements of individual account
8. You can log in to CRA and view your online important emails and notifications from CRA
9. You’ll be able to view the Climate action incentive payment (which was newly Introduced in 2019)
10. You can also view your GST/HST credit payments – which are usually paid out every quarter
11. Apply for Disability Tax Credit application – Form T2201, available online (which is newly Introduced in 2019)
12. You can update personal information including your address, phone number, marital status, and banking information and keep it up to date
13. All your proof of income (POI) Statements can now be opened in the PDF Format (Newly Introduced in 2019)
14. You can request a CPP or EI ruling online (Newly Introduced in 2019)
15. File a GST or HST rebate (Newly Introduced in 2019)
16. You can utilize the “Auto-fill my return” service when filing your tax return
17. Submit important documents to the CRA online
18. You can view your disability tax credit, online – if applicable
19. Apply for direct deposit to your bank account online
20. View your CRA account balance and statement of account
21. You can set up a payment plan if owing taxes, instead of one lump sum amount
22. Finally, you can also authorize a representative for managing and taking care of your CRA Individual Account services.
CRA Business Account Benefits
If you are a small business owner or a business owner in general, the CRA my account allows you to access lots of useful information relating to your business including
1. Tax returns for GST/HST
2. Business payroll deductions
3. Corporate income taxes
4. Excise duty
5. Excise tax
6. Information returns and lots more
Registering A CRA My Account for Individuals [STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE]
There are two options when it comes to registering for a new CRA My Account –
1. First Option For CRA Registration
Keep the following documents ready –
Your social insurance number [SIN number]
Your date of birth is required (No Documents only DOB details)
Postal code is required (Just the postal code where you reside)
Your last two tax returns – for the current year and the previous one. You will be required to enter an amount from one of these returns. But don’t worry in case your new to Canada or haven’t filed your taxes yet. We have all been there and it’s ok without it.
When you have the above information ready, proceed to the CRA My Account page.
1. Navigate to the “CRA My Account” registration page – Click here to access the link
2. Next, Click On the “CRA Register” button on the CRA My Account Login page
3. Now, enter your Social Insurance Number (SIN number), and click on the Next button
4. Next, you’ll need to “Validate your Identity” by completing all the required fields – Postal Code, Date Of Birth, Tax Information from previous year tax return (if you have).
If you haven’t filed your taxes yet or new to Canada without a Tax Return yet, no need to worry. You need to enter “0” in the Tax information field.
After filling out all these details correctly click on the Next button.
5. On the next page, Create a “CRA User ID” and “Password”
Make sure you write it down in a safe and secure place. You’ll need these login credentials for as long you are in Canada.
After entering the CRA user ID and password, you are required to create a couple of security questions and answers on the next screen. Be careful while creating the security questions and answers – As long you are in Canada, you’ll be eligible to have only one CRA account and its very important you don’t lose access to the information you provide here! These questions are part of recovering your CRA access, in case you lost your CRA ID or password.
Say tomorrow for whatever the reason be, if you forget your CRA ID or Password – or you need to call CRA for some tax enquiries, you are required to answer the security questions.
Also, do remember the exact way you entered the security question answers – I mean the caps and small letters.
6. Hurray! Your CRA My Account is now registered and created. It’s now ready to log in and use. However, note that you can access only a limited and certain tax information on your CRA My Account at this moment.
For full and complete access to your CRA My Account, CRA will be mailing you via Canada Post a security code which you will need to enter online when prompted after log-in. The mail might take anywhere from 1-2 weeks to arrive depending on your region.
Once you have completed this step, you will only need your CRA user ID and password to access your complete account features.
2. Second Option For CRA Registration
A second option to access your “CRA My Account” is to use a CRA Sign-in Partner.
For this option, you’ll need to log in via one of the CRA’s trusted financial institutions. Once you select and click on the financial institution (usually your bank) – Login using your existing credentials and that’s it you’ll be through to the CRA’s welcome screen.
I have already mentioned this in the first option; you’ll be required to have your social insurance number, date of birth, postal code and last two tax returns (just in case) readily available.
The CRA security access code will be mailed to you as well to enable full access to the “My Account” services
Once you get the access code, log in as usual through the Sign-in Partner and enter the security code when prompted. You should now have full access.
CRA Business Account
We just saw how to create a new CRA My Account for Individuals.
To create, log in or access the CRA Business CRA My Account, you’ll need to follow similar steps as mentioned for Individual account, except that you’ll also be required to enter your CRA business number.
I’ll discuss the CRA Business Account in a separate article anyways. So do look out for that in the coming days.
CRA Hours Of Service
CRA online services are available for almost 21 hours a day.
Due to daily maintenance activities – the services are not available for three hours a day from 3 am to 6 am (Eastern).
CRA online services may also be unavailable during the following maintenance schedule:
February 8, 2019, until Monday, February 11, 2019
May 10, 2019, until Monday, May 13, 2019
October 18, 2019, until Monday, October 21, 2019
How To Contact The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)?
Before you contact the CRA for any of the issues or concerns, make sure you have this information handy:
1. Your Social Insurance Number (SIN Number)
2. Your Month and Year Of Birth (YOB)
3. The Total Income you entered on line 150 of your 2019 tax return
Also, make sure that you know the right service you are calling for. Below is the list of helpful contact numbers by CRA.
1. Individuals and families enquiries
Phone: 1-800-267-6999 (Canada and United States)
3. Individual Tax Account Balance Automated Service
4. Benefit enquiries
Phone: 1-800-387-1193 (Canada and United States)
5. Individual tax and Benefit enquiries – Territorial residents
6. Provincial programs for Ontario (PPO)
Phone: 1-877-627-6645 (Canada and United States)
7. Alberta Benefit Enquiries
Phone: 1-800-959-2809 (Canada and United States)
8. CRA Employee Enquiries
Telephone: 1-833- EAP PAE 2 (327-7232)
9. Businesses and Self-Employed Individuals
Phone: 1-800-959-5525 (Canada and United States)
10. Business Enquiries – Territorial residents
11. GST/HST Post Assessing
12. GST/HST and Other Levies Filing Compliance Programs
13. Business Number Registration Review
14. GST/HST Non-Registrant Program
15. Corporation Assessing Review Program
16. TIPS (Tax Information Phone Service)
Phone: 1-800-267-6999 (Canada and United States)
17. Charities Enquiries
18. Payment arrangements – Income tax
19. Child and family benefits overpayments
20. Business and self-employed
Phone: 1-877-477-5068 for GST/HST debts
Phone: 1-877-548-6016 for payroll tax debts
Phone: 1-866-291-6346 for corporate income tax debts
21. Other Payment Arrangements
Phone: 1-866-864-5823 | Hours of service
There you go, that was the detailed article on how to register and open a new CRA Personal Account and Business Account.
Hope this article was helpful to you. I’ve mentioned everything in detail – just so that its useful to one and all.
By now you should be familiar with how to create and access your CRA My Account and logging in to see your benefits and other useful CRA features!
If you found this article useful, share this content on social media and help spread the word. Also if you have any questions or need more clarity on something – Please leave your thoughts and comments below.
Top 10 Popular Posts Of All Time
CRA My Account
- Enrolling Online is Easy and Must for every Canadian Resident!
- Lots of useful benefits and features by enrolling to the CRA My Account
- If you are a business owner, register for the CRA My Account for Business
- CRA My Account is down 3 hours a day, usually in the midnight for maintenance, so you might not be able to access the services then
- You need to have a couple of documents ready before registration
- To gain complete and full access to you CRA My Account - you'll have to wait for the personal access code which will take 1-2 weeks to arrtive