How To Use A My Service Canada Account And Report EI Online (2020)

My Service Canada Account or MSCA is an online free tool from Service Canada which delivers a wide range of government benefits and services. The My Service Canada Account provides you with secure online access to your Employment Insurance (EI), Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) and Old Age Security Pension (OAS) report and details.

If you are a new immigrant to Canada, you must consider registering for the My Service Canada Account (MSCA) as it’s really important during your stay here. Enrolling in the MSCA earlier will be better for you in terms of applying and knowing your government benefits to follow. So make sure you do this ASAP. 

In this article, let’s take a look at everything the My Service Canada Account (MSCA) has to offer, including access, features and benefits, how to file an online EI Internet Report.

Let’s get started.

Table Of Contents

What Is The My Service Canada Account (MSCA)?

The My Service Canada Account (MSCA) is an online platform that allows you to view and access Government services and benefits such as the Employment Insurance (EI), Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Old Age Security (OAS) and Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS).

My Service Canada Account (MSCA) provides you with a single point of access to view or update your information with the Employment Insurance, Canada Pension Plan, Canada Pension Plan Disability and Old Age Security programs. MSCA can also be used to register for the Employment Insurance special benefits for self-employed people. 

If you intend to live and stay in Canada, you must register for the MSCA, its mandatory and you’ll eventually be signing-up anyways. 

I’ve listed down all the features and benefits of registering to the My Service Canada Account in the sections to follow. 

My Service Canada Account

My Service Canada Account (MSCA) and Employment Insurance Benefits (EI)

In this section of the post, I’ve highlighted the benefits and features you’ll get by registering and logging into the My Service Canada Account (MSCA).

Remember, it’s always free to sign up for the MSCA account and its mandatory to do so if you intend to stay or work in Canada. 

First, let’s talk about the My Service Canada Account and the Employment Insurance or EI Benefits associated with it.

By logging in to the online My Service Canada Account (MSCA) you’ll gain immediate access to the Employment Insurance (EI) information and benefits:

1. With the My Service Canada Account (MSCA), you’ll be able to check your current EI application status (once applied for), Employment Insurance payment information (both current and past payments) and look at your current or past EI claims you’ve made till date (The complete list over the years)

2. You can enroll for the My Service Canada Account’s, Alert-me email notifications. With this feature, you’ll periodically receive important email notifications from Service Canada regarding your Employment Insurance (EI) application status or any other important tax information/discrepancies

3. By using the online MSCA, you’ll be able to view and print your T4E tax slips. In case you don’t know what T4E’s are. T4’s are issued every year by your employer which can then be used to file your Income taxes. T4’s contain important employment information such as gross pay, income tax deducted, EI premiums paid and how much you’ve paid for the year, CPP pension amount, RRSP contribution etc. 

4. By accessing the MSCA online account, you’ll be able to view your existing Records of Employment (ROEs) from your past employers.

ROE’s are submitted to Service Canada by your employers electronically in the case of a job loss or lay off.

ROE’s are mandatory while applying for the Employment Insurance (EI) Benefits during a job loss/lay off without any fault of yours aka you’re fired for no reason of yours. Remember if you are filing for the Employment Insurance, ROE is almost mandatory for your application to be processed and approved. So make sure everything is in place and correct. 

5. You can get your EI benefit amount as a direct deposit to your bank account by registering for one through the My Service Canada Account. All you have to do is enter your online banking information for the direct deposit and you’re done. You’ll start receiving the EI benefits directly to your bank account once every two weeks.

The other advantage you get by doing so is, once your bank details have been updated, the system will automatically process the same information for any other benefits you may be eligible and apply for. For example the recent CERB payments. 

6. With MSCA you update or change your personal information records such as change of address, bank information changes etc. It’s online and easy. 

7. While receiving the regular EI benefit payments, in case you are enrolled in any training’s outside of Canada, you can submit the electronic forms or eForms to update your information through the My Service Canada Account.

8. Finally, with access to MSCA, you can quickly register for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits payment (in case of job loss) for both full time and self-employed professionals. Also, you can cancel receiving your EI Payments once you find a new job.

Service Canada

My Service Canada Account (MSCA) and Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Old Age Security (OAS), Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) Features and Benefits

The My Service Canada Account offers a huge range of services and benefits when it comes to CPP, OAS and GIS benefit payments, dates and direct deposit information.

Here’s the complete list of what the My Service Canada Account offers to you: 

1. By accessing the MSCA account, you can apply for the OAS (Old Age Security Pension) and GIS ( Guaranteed Income Supplement) payments online 

2. You’ll be able to apply for the CPP (Canada Pension Plan) online

3. If required, you can request for your Child Rearing Provision (CRP) online. CRP is basically for low-income individuals or families with kids, claiming higher pension (CPP) amounts.

4. You can also look at the past CPP contributions that you have made or get an estimate of your monthly CPP benefits amount anytime. 

5. If you have applied for the CPP or OAS, You can view your current application status and payment information by logging into the My Service Canada Account (MSCA).

6. You can view and print your T4A, NR4 tax slips

7. You can share your direct deposit information between CPP and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). By doing so, you can save all the hassles in one roof and expect payments to be processed faster and deposited sooner. 

8. Next, By logging into the My Service Canada Account, you can view or update your personal information for OAS and CPP payments. You can also opt for the delay in receiving your OAS pension (OAS Clawback) which is quite handy. If you want to learn more about OAS clawback click here

10. By accessing the online MSCA account, you’ll be able to start, stop, change and update federal voluntary tax deductions from CPP and OAS

11. Last but not least, by accessing the MSCA and with the help of a representative, you can give consent for someone to communicate with CPP and OAS on your behalf

What Is A GCKey?

GCKey lets you securely access the Government of Canada’s online services – Service Canada website. It includes a username and password that you choose while creating a new MSCA account.

Please note that there are certain rules and restrictions for creating a new username and password. The restriction includes the minimum password length and if the username is already chosen by others, you might want to choose another one etc.

You should also create security questions and answers. This keeps your data secure and lets you recover your account in case you forget the password or want to recover one. 

GCKey Registration Process 

Now that you know what a GCKey is, let’s quickly look at the GCKey registration process:

First, you’ll have to read and accept the terms and conditions on the initial sign-up page.
You then have to be prepared to complete the 3 step process mentioned below :
  • Create a User ID

  • Create recovery questions, answers, and hints

  • You’ll then be able to create and confirm a password

How Do I Access The My Service Canada Account? (MSCA)

Before you can register for the My Service Canada Account, you’ll need an access code. To get the access code from Service Canada, you will have to request for one.

If you are applying for the Employment Insurance (EI) benefits you will require a Personal Access Code or PAC. We will look at how to get the EI Access Code and PAC in just a bit

The four-digit numeric personal access code or PAC is printed in the shaded area on the benefit statement mailed to you after you apply for the Employment Insurance benefit payments.

Usually, it takes a couple of days to receive the personal access code by snail mail. Also, depending on where you live it might take even longer to receive.

service canada

How Do I Get My Access Code From Service Canada?

Well, the Personal Access Code (PAC) is a seven-digit numeric code and comes through the snail mail.
Before you can apply for the PAC, please read the information on the Request a Personal Access Code page and make sure you follow the exact steps.
Also, do print the privacy notice statement for your records which is always helpful to refer back in the case.

Information Required For The Personal Access Code (PAC)

  • Social Insurance Number

  • First name

  • Last name

  • Date of birth

  • Mother’s maiden name

  • Postal code and address information

Once you are done keying in the above details, hit the submit button and you’re done.

It will take approximately five to ten working days to receive your personal access code by snail mail.

Once you get the access code, you can then go ahead and register for the My Service Canada Account online.

Personal Access Code vs. EI Access Code

Personal Access Code or PAC is a 7-digit code that is mailed to you, which you’ll receive in 5-10 business days. It is required to register for the My Service Canada Account. 

Whereas, if you are applying for the EI benefits, you’ll need an EI access code which is 4 digits and you will receive this along with your EI benefits statement mail upon completion of the registration.

Do remember that the EI access code can be found printed in the shaded area of the benefits mail. 

How To Register For The My Service Canada Account? (MSCA)

Now that you know what is a Personal Access Code (PAC) and how to get it, let’s talk about the registration process and logging into the My Service Canada Account for the first time. 

First, in the My Service Canada Account (MSCA) website, you can either choose to login with a GCKey or a Sign-In Partner.

msca login

You’ll be able to login using a GCKey by using a User ID and password.

The other option is using your Canadian banking credentials by using a Sign-In Partner which I almost end up using all the time to log in.

Example – Your TD, CIBC or RBC Online Banking details (usually debit card number and password). There’s a huge list of sign-in partners. 

As soon you log in to the My Service Canada Account for the first time (using a sign-in partner), you need to have the access code handy, only for the first login, later on, you don’t need it to log in.

From the second login onwards (once set-up), it’s fairly straight forward and easy logging into the MSCA.  

Also, signing in through the partner credentials is pretty secure, no personal information is shared between the two institutions, it is just to make sure you are the person trying to use and access the government services.

For the first time MSCA users, please follow the registration process as outlined in to complete the sign-up process before you can log in and access all the features and benefits.

To sum it up, once you have the personal access code, you can register for My Service Canada Access (MSCA).

If it is your first time accessing My Service Canada Account, you will need:

  • your PAC or EI access code

  • your SIN

  • and date of birth

How Do I Login To The My Service Canada Account? (MSCA)

You have a whole bunch of Sign-In partners available with MSCA. 

You can look at the complete list here. (Almost every major financial institution is covered). You’ll have to:

  • Agree to the terms and conditions

  • Choose a Sign-In Partner which you’ll access the My Service Canada Account every time.

How To Use The My Service Canada Account? (MSCA)

1. First login to the My Service Canada Account (MSCA) by clicking the link here

MSCA login screen

2. You have two options to login:

1. First, by using the GCKey

2. Second, by logging in using your existing bank credentials. Remember you need to pre-authorize and enable My Service Canada Account (MSCA) to use this method.

3. Once you have successfully logged in to your My Service Canada Account (MSCA), you’ll see the following account options enabled on the welcome screen:

1. View my EI status and correspondence

2. View my Tax Slips for EI / CPP / OAS (T4E, T4A, NR4)

3. View my EI payment information

4. View my Records of Employment

5. Complete my EI report online

MSCA Welcome Screen

4. Depending on what your needs are, click on the appropriate link and navigate to the specific page/links.

5. By logging in to your My Service Canada Account, you can scroll down in the welcome home screen and click on the apply button to apply for CPP, GIS, OAS, EI and International Benefits.


MSCA Apply

What Is Employment Insurance In Canada?

Employment Insurance (EI) is an unemployment insurance program in Canada that allows individuals who recently lost their job due to no fault of theirs. I mean laid off in simple terms.

Unemployment raises money issues for lots of people and this is something that the Canadian Government is aware of. This is why they offer Employment Insurance or EI benefits (a form of temporary financial assistance) to individuals that are eligible. Over half a million people benefit from this monthly.

Employment Insurance can serve as a source of income for those that have lost their job. It is subjected to tax deductions. Employment Insurance can be availed for a minimum of 14 weeks to a maximum of 45 weeks.

However, to receive EI payments online you should have paid regular EI premiums for the past 12 months at-least.

But don’t worry your employer usually takes care of the bi-weekly or monthly EI premiums as a part of your paycheck

If you are a contractor or a small business owner, you may individually contribute to the EI as part of your incorporation. 

Service Canada EI Benefits are usually in the form of temporary financial assistance which lasts for 12 months from the date of benefits start date and once your EI application is approved.

Once you find a new job, your EI payments will immediately stop and you will no longer receive any more payments. Also, if you work part-time while searching for a job, your EI payment amount will get reduced. It all depends on the income you make bi-weekly while on EI payments.

EI payments usually last for a year and all applications are manually approved once applied for.

You May Be Eligible For Employment Insurance Benefits if you:

  • Lost your job through no fault of your own (e.g. terminated without cause, or if you quit for certain acceptable reasons such as provable harassment, toxic work environment)

  • Were employed in insurable employment and have worked the required number of hours are looking for work each day and continue to document these efforts

  • your regular weekly earnings from work have decreased by more than 40% for at least one week

  • you have accumulated 600 insured hours of work in the 52 weeks before the start of your claim or since the start of your last claim

  • you’re unable to work for medical reasons

You may, however, be considered to be Ineligible for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits if you:

  • were terminated for misconduct

  • are unemployed because of directly participating in a labour dispute

  • voluntarily left your job without just cause

  • are confined to a jail or similar institution

Service Canada

Who Can Apply For The Employment Insurance (EI) Benefits?

If you’re a Canadian either living in the country or abroad, you might be eligible to receive the EI Payments, all you have to do is to apply for one.

But, before that please make sure you fall into one of the below categories before you apply:  

1. Regular EI Benefits

You can apply for the regular EI benefits if you have lost your job through no fault of your own (laid off). You’ll receive regular bi-weekly EI Payments while you actively search for public and private sector job opportunities.

2. EI Sickness Benefits

You can apply for the EI “Sickness EI Benefit” if you are unable to work due to illness, injury or quarantine (COVID-19). Click here to apply

COVID-19 EI Sickness Benefits Update

You can apply for the Employment Insurance sickness benefits and receive up to 15 weeks of financial assistance if you cannot work for medical reasons and quarantine. As part of this benefit, You’ll receive 55% of your regular earnings up to a maximum of $573 per week.

All you have to do is – get a medical certificate to show that you’re unable to work for medical reasons. Note that – Medical reasons include illness, injury, quarantine or any medical condition that prevents you from working. Click here to learn more and to apply now for the EI Sickness Benefit (COVID-19)

3. EI Maternity and Parental Benefits

You can apply for the EI “Maternity and Parental Benefits” if you’re pregnant, have recently given birth, are adopting a child or are caring for a newborn.

4. EI Caregiving Benefits and Leave

You can apply for this EI Benefit if you are providing care or support to a critically ill or injured person or someone needing end-of-life care.

Click here to apply for the EI Caregiving Benefits and Leave

5. EI Special Benefits for the Self-Employed

You need to register and apply for special benefits if you are self-employed.

Click here to apply for this benefit

6. EI Benefits For Canadians Living Abroad

If you currently live or work outside of Canada, you can still be eligible to receive the EI Benefits.

Click here to learn more and apply for this benefit

7. EI Fishing Benefits

Are you a Canadian Fisher looking for EI Benefits? You can apply for EI Benefits if you are a self-employed fisher and actively seeking work.

Click here for more details and to apply for the EI Fishing benefit payments. 

8. EI Benefits Information for Employers

If you are a Canadian Employer looking out for the Information about records of employment (ROE), managing insurance premiums, obtaining EI premium reduction reports or supplementing benefits click here to learn more

How To Apply For Employment Insurance In The My Service Canada Account?

1. Gather supporting documents:

  • Medical certificate: You’ll need to get a medical certificate signed by a medical practitioner

  • Record Of Employment or ROE

2. Complete the online application:

  • Ensure that the names and addresses of your employers in the last 52 weeks, the dates you were employed with each employer and the reasons you’re no longer employed with them.

  • You need to provide a detailed explanation of the facts if you quit or were dismissed from any job in the last 52 weeks

  • make sure to include your full mailing address and your home address if they are different, your social insurance number (SIN)

  • you’d also need your mother’s maiden name and your banking information, including financial institution, branch (transit) number and

  • finally, your bank account number, to sign up for direct deposit are available before completing the application

3. Provide supporting documents

4. A benefit statement and access code will arrive by mail

5. Review your application status

If you travel outside of Canada, make sure to fill out an Absence from Canada form on My Service Canada Account.

An individual is not eligible to receive sickness benefits while outside Canada. However, the person is eligible if medical treatment is not available where you reside.

Employment Insurance Benefits And Record Of Employment (ROE)

To apply for the Employment Insurance, you’ll need the ROE (Record Of Employment) from your employer and upload it online before your EI application is approved and EI benefits start. 

Usually, your employer takes care of submitting the ROE part, the important thing to note here is that your employer should not mention the reason of termination otherwise – such as fired or any other reason which can deny or delay your Employment Insurance payment.

The reasoning on the ROE is usually laid off for company downsizing or in similar lines. So please be careful of what the reason for termination is in your Record Of Employment. 

In addition to receiving financial assistance, the Employment Insurance program also assists the unemployed with job search services.

Once you apply for the Employment Insurance benefits, your application is usually approved provided all the details are duly filled and ROE is good. 

How To Find Your EI Claim Status? 

1. Log in to your My Service Canada Account.

2. Click on the link “View My EI Status and Correspondence” 

3. Then, choose one of the options as per your need. Screenshot below.

EI Status

How Do I Check My EI Claim In The My Service Canada Account? 

Once you have successfully logged into your MSCA account homepage, you can use the My Service Canada Account to view your electronic Records of Employment (ROEs) and information on your previous or current Employment Insurance claims. 

The information available in the MSCA Employment Insurance (EI) Claim includes your:

  • Weekly benefit rate

  • The start and end date of your claim

  • The start and end of your waiting period

  • Your weekly allowable earnings

  • The number of weeks you will be entitled to receive EI benefits

  • The number of weeks of EI benefits you have already received

  • Payment dates

  • Payment deductions if any

Below is the screenshot of the EI Status and Correspondence in My Service Canada Account (you need to login and click on the first link for EI there)

EI Status and Correspondence

How Much EI Will I Get?

EI is usually calculated at 55% of your average insurable weekly earnings. The maximum amount payable is $540 per week.

EI Payments are usually paid out on a bi-weekly basis to your bank account if opted for the direct deposit or you’ll receive a cheque for the eligible amount once applied for. 

How To Claim EI For Sick Leave?

Employment Insurance (EI) sickness benefits can provide you with up to 15 weeks of financial assistance if you cannot work for medical reasons.

The maximum EI amount payable is $573 a week for Sick Leaves.

Click here to apply for the EI Sick Leave benefit payment. 

You must get a medical certificate to prove that you’re unable to work for medical reasons. Medical reasons can include illness, injury, quarantine or any medical condition that prevents you from working

Employment Insurance Benefit for sick leave will no longer be available if:

  • you’ve received 15 weeks of sickness benefit payments

  • you’ve received the maximum weeks of benefits payable to you when combining EI benefit types or

  • you no longer need to be away from work because of your medical condition

  • you have reached the end of your claim period

When you start a claim for any type of EI benefit, your claim is open for a specific period of time. This is often for 52 weeks. In some cases, the claim period may be extended to a maximum of 2 years

How To Claim EI For Maternity Leave?

If you’re a biological or surrogate mother who s pregnant or has just given birth, you may be eligible for maternity leave benefits through Employment Insurance (EI). It is 15 weeks of maternity leave followed by 35 weeks of parental leave.

The amount paid depends on a person’s income. It is calculated by finding 55% of an individual’s biweekly income.

The maximum amount payable is $562 per week, as of January 2019.

In 2017, the Canadian Government came up with an 18-month maternity leave plan instead of the 12-month plan. Employment Insurance was calculated as 33% of an individual’s biweekly income over 18 months instead of 55% across 12 months.

Soon-to-be mothers are advised to apply online for benefits immediately they stop work to avoid delay in payments.

Maternity benefits need to start being paid either before the baby is born or as close to the birth date as possible. This is because the maternal benefits must end 17 weeks after the birth week. After this, parental benefits begin.

It is also advisable for women to apply for parental benefits at the same time they apply for maternal benefits. It should also be indicated whether said benefits will be shared with the other parent.

Click here to access the EI Maternity and Paternal Benefits Calculator

EI Maternal Benefits

EI maternity benefits are provided for biological mothers and surrogate mothers, who are unable to work because they are pregnant or have recently given birth.

A maximum of 15 weeks of EI maternity benefits is available.

EI Parental Benefits

EI parental benefits are offered to parents who are caring for a newborn or newly adopted child or children.

There are two parental benefit options available:

  • Standard parental benefits: it can be paid for a maximum of 35 weeks and must be claimed within 12 months after the week the child was born or placed up for adoption.

  • Extended parental benefits: it can be paid for a maximum of 61 weeks and must be claimed within 18 months after the week the child was born or placed up for adoption.

You should note that the number of weeks/months given for maternal or paternal benefits does not change irrespective of the number of children born.

EI Paternal and Maternal Benefits – How Much Will You Get?

You may be eligible to receive EI maternity or parental benefits if:

  • your normal weekly earnings are reduced by more than 40%

  • you have accumulated at least 600 hours of insurable employment during the qualifying period

  • you are employed in insurable employment and meet the specific criteria for receiving EI maternity or parental benefits

Click here to access the EI Maternity and Paternal Benefits Calculator

Service Canada EI

Application Process For The Maternal and Paternal EI Benefits

Application for both maternity and parental EI benefits is usually done online and through the My Service Canada Account (MSCA)

It is compulsory to provide the expected or actual date of birth when applying for maternity benefits. But, when applying for parental benefits, it is a must to provide the date of birth of your newborn or, in the case of an adoption, the date on which your child was placed with you.

You must also provide the full name and address of the agency handling the adoption and the Social Insurance Number of the other parent if you plan on sharing the EI benefits. Information on your employment will also be required.

Maternal and Parental benefits are also subjected to taxation by the Government.

Employment Insurance benefit for maternity and parental leave will no longer be available when:

  • you have received all the weeks of benefits to which you were entitled or

  • the maximum benefit period has been reached

  • 52 weeks for maternity and standard parental benefits

  • 78 weeks for maternity and extended parental benefits

  • the payment timeframe during which you can receive benefits has ended

If you are receiving other payments as you are receiving maternity and parental benefits, there will be a deduction from your Employment Insurance (EI) amount.

Some of these payments include payments received as compensation for a work accident, certain payments received under an accident insurance plan, retirement income from a retirement plan, and so on.

However, there are certain types of income that will have no impact on your EI maternity and parental benefits. They include disability benefits, survivor or dependent benefits, workers’ compensation benefits paid under specific regulations, and so on.

Click here to learn more about the Paternity and Maternity Benefits from (official Government Website)

How To Claim EI If You Are Self-Employed?

Canadian citizens or legal residents can access Employment Insurance (EI) special benefits by entering into an agreement, or registering, with the Canada Employment Insurance Commission.

There are 6 types of Employment Insurance Special Benefits:

  • Maternity benefits

  • Parental benefits

  • Sickness benefits

  • Compassionate care benefits

  • The family caregiver benefit for children

  • The family caregiver benefit for adults

How To Register For EI Benefits If you are Self-Employed?

EI self-employed registration can be done with the Canada Employment Insurance Commission through Service Canada if:

  • you are either a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada

  • you operate your own business, or if you work for a corporation but cannot access EI benefits because you control more than 40% of the corporation’s voting shares

If you are self-employed, you need to register online with the Canada Employment Insurance Commission to take part in the Employment Insurance program. To do this, you will need a My Service Canada Account (MSCA) which you can access online. After registration, you will receive a mail containing your personal access code within 10 days.

If you already have a My Service Canada Account, log in using your existing user ID and password. Select the “Employment Insurance for the Self-Employed” option on the main page to begin the registration process.

Your participation in the EI program will last throughout your self-employed career, irrespective of any change in the nature of your self-employment.

To apply, you have to wait 12 months from the date of your confirmed registration before applying for Employment Insurance special benefits.

If you are self-employed and you are also being paid insurable earnings as an employee, you can either apply for EI special benefits either as a self-employed person or as an employee, as long as you qualify for both.

If you are applying as a self-employed person, your income from both self-employment and employment as an employee will be put into consideration when your weekly benefit amount is being calculated, as long as your earnings from both sources are eligible. You must provide your Record of Employment to show details of your earnings as an employee.

How To Register For The Special Benefits EI Payments?

To apply for special benefits, you will need to complete an online application for EI benefits. It takes about an hour to complete the online application. To apply, the following information is necessary:

  • your Social Insurance Number

  • your complete banking information to sign up for a direct deposit, including the financial institution name, the bank branch number, and your account number.

  • mailing and residential addresses, including the postal codes

  • your mother’s maiden name

How Do I Register For The Internet EI Reporting Online? 

Have you applied for the EI (Employment Insurance) and waiting on the weekly payments? 

Do you know that there’s a waiting period before you’ll actually start receiving the EI payments? Yeah, that’s right. 

You will be able to check the EI Application status and the start date of the benefit by logging into the My Service Canada Account account online. 

Simply put, to get your EI Benefit online payments on-time every two weeks, you have to fill the MSCA EI Internet Reports on time every week.

How Do I Report My EI Online?

1. First of all, log in to your My Service Canada Account (MSCA) or click the link here to login.

2. Once you have successfully logged into your account, you will see the My Service Canada Welcome screen. Here on this screen, you can “View the EI Payment Information”, “View EI Status and Correspondence”, “View Records Of Employment or ROE” or “Complete your EI report online”

Do remember to complete the “EI Report Online” once every two weeks (bi-weekly) to avoid delayed EI payments. Once you complete the report, the system will automatically show you the next due date, so it’s pretty easy to mark your calendars or remember.

Also, when you log in anytime to the My Service Canada Account (MSCA) and try completing the report if it’s not due yet, the system will prompt you to log back in on the earliest date that you can complete filing the report. (PS – It hardly takes 5 minutes to complete the report)

Screenshot of the My Service Canada Account below (logged in – initial screen): 

EI Reporting

3. Click on the “View my EI Status and Correspondence” on the Welcome screen.

Here you will be able to see your EI Payment Information, Records of Employment from employers, Status and Correspondence and much more as seen in the screenshot below. You have a bunch of EI options and can choose accordingly based on what information you want to look into. 

My Service Canada

4. Next, click on the EI “My Payments Section”.

Here you can view your current EI payments. Also, you’ll be able to view all your EI payments paid so far. If you have applied for and waiting for the payments to come through, this section is not applicable to you yet. But, this is where you’ll see your EI payment information. So kindly note it down. 

My Service Canada

5. Now this one’s really important to note.

In order to get your Employment Insurance (EI) Payments on-time every 2 weeks, you’ll have to complete the online internet reporting.

Never miss completing your reports on-time.

Completing the report is fairly easy. All you have to do is answer basic questions (7 or so with yes/no answers).

Here’s how you can do this – First, click on the Complete My EI Report Online Link

My Service Canada

6. Click “Yes” on the pop-up message that shows up. Screenshot below. 

My Service Canada

7. You will then be taken to this page – which is where you will have to complete your online Internet Report.

Remember you need to complete reports every 2 weeks for the payments to come through. Never miss out on completing a single report. Mark your calendars if required and complete it on-time every two weeks. 

Payments are usually sent to your bank account wired. By Bank account, I mean the banking details you have provided to Service Canada or CRA. 

8. After you have completed the Employment Insurance reports for the previous 2 weeks, you should be expecting payments usually on Tuesdays of the following week into your bank accounts

Say for example you complete the report on Friday, you should be receiving the Employment Insurance Payment on Tuesday, next week. (That’s how I used to get paid, so based out of the experience I am saying this, might depend on case-to-case basic which I’m not sure)

Also, please remember to always complete your bi-weekly EI report on-time. Failing to do so on time, your EI funds will be held until you complete the report and you might even have to call the CRA to get this issue sorted.

Please don’t get into trouble, mark your calendars and always complete the EI report online. Also, when you log in to file your report, the system will prompt you on the date when you need to complete the next report. It hardly takes a couple of minutes to do so. (Just yes or no options, 5-minute job to be done) 

my service canada

9. That’s it! You are done filing your first EI Report Online or EI Internet Report Online. 

It’s really easy and straight forward to get the Online EI Payments in Canada!

Let me know if you have any questions or troubles in the comments section below.

MSCA and Canada Pension Plan (CPP)

Canada Pension Plan or CPP is one of the retirement benefits in Canada. Using the My Service Canada Account you can view and update the existing information on your Canada Pension Plan (CPP).
Also, you’ll be able to view and print the CPP Statement of Contributions, which is useful for your personal records or while filing taxes annually. Having a My Service Canada Account (MSCA) has various benefits when it comes to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP).

Below is the list of CPP Benefits you’ll get by accessing it through the My Service Canada Account:

  • Application for CPP payment retirement pension is made easier with My Service Canada Account. Applications made through MSCA are also processed faster

  • You can check your CPP application status whenever you want to

  • Also, you can view and print your official proof of payment report for your CPP benefits for the current year and the two years before

  • Login to MSCA, to view, start, change or stop voluntary tax deduction. You will also be able to view your estimated gross amount, federal voluntary tax deduction and net monthly payment after deduction

  • You can request to receive and then print your T4A(P) tax slip for the CPP payment benefits, to use while filing income taxes

  • You can start or stop the mailing of your T4A(P) tax slips from the MSCA account and online. 

  • If you need to request for the child-rearing provision, you can do so by logging into MSCA. 

  • Having a My Service Canada Account will enable you to view your estimated monthly CPP payment benefits

  • With MSCA, you can make changes to your banking information and choose which day you want for the said changes to take effect

  • The option of sharing your direct deposit banking information between CPP and Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is also available on MSCA

  • You can give consent for someone to communicate with Service Canada about CPP payments on your behalf

  • Your Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions can be printed from My Service Canada Account. It is considered to be a legal document

  • If you are currently receiving CPP payments or if receipt of your first payment is pending, you can use My Service Canada Account to request an access code for My Service Canada Account (MSCA)

  • You can use My Service Canada Account to change your address and telephone number(s)

    If you have authorized someone to act as power of attorney on your behalf, that person cannot use your My Service Canada Account

  • With MSCA, you can get an estimate of your CPP payment retirement benefits

  • You should know that if a registered trustee, guardian or other legal representative is taking care of your financial affairs, neither you nor your representative can use a My Service Canada Account

PRO TIP – Always signup for the direct deposits in My Service Canada Account, this makes receiving your benefit amount that much faster and hassle-free. Do not go for paper statements unless it’s required. It’s always slow and delays are common. For your personal records, you can always print out the forms required and store it in a secure place. 

Related: I’ve covered an entire in-depth article on the CPP Payments. Click here to read

MSCA and Old Age Security Pension (OAS)

Using the My Service Canada Account, you can view the information of your Old Age Security pension (OAS). All the details of your OAS pension benefit including payment dates, details and monthly benefit amount is available on the MSCA tool.

By registering online for The My Service Canada Account or MSCA you’ll get a ton of benefits related to the Old Age Security Pension.

You can find all the features and benefits of accessing OAS through My Service Canada Account below:

  • You will be able to apply online for the Old Age Security pension. Information such as your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and that of your spouse, where you have lived since age 18, your banking information (to sign up for direct deposit), the date you would like your pension to start, would be required of you.

  • You can view the status of your application for OAS benefits and update your direct deposit or banking information online

  • Change your address and telephone number(s) under personal information

  • You can authorize a person to give information to and receive information from Service Canada on your behalf

  • As of July 2013, it became possible to defer OAS pension in exchange for a higher monthly payment for up to 60 months from the day you become eligible for payment. With My Service Canada Account, this can be done easily. It can also be used to delay OAS pension payment after receiving a notification letter of automatic enrolment.

  • You can voluntarily request that federal income tax be deducted each month from your OAS payment with a My Service Canada Account.

  • T4 tax information slips (for Canadian residents) and NR4 tax slip (for those who reside outside of Canada) that show the amount of OAS pension received the previous year can be printed online from MSCA as early as February 1st each year. This slip must be included whenever you file for annual income tax returns.

  • You can view, start, change or stop your federal voluntary tax deduction

    You will be able to view details and print an official proof of payment report of your OAS benefits

  • You should note that if you have authorized someone to act as power of attorney on your behalf, that person cannot use your My Service Canada Account. Also, If you have a registered trustee, guardian or other legal representative taking care of your financial affairs, neither you nor your representative can use a My Service Canada Account.

Related: I’ve covered an entire in-depth article on OAS Payments. Click here to read

How Do I Contact Service Canada Regarding My Service Canada Account Account Issues? 

In case you lost your employment insurance access code or worst still, did not even receive the snail mail; even after waiting for quite some time (weeks). What do you do in these situations?

My personal suggestion is to walk into a Service Canada Centre near your place and get it sorted out talking to the representative there. It is quick, hassle-free and easy once you talk to a person there. Remember, you don’t have long queues especially on weekdays. If possible walk-in on a weekday and early in the morning to finish quickly. 

Calls to the Service Canada customer care can be a really long wait and frustrating. It can even take hours to reach an agent. Instead just walk-in to the Service Canada centre and get it done! 

Next, let’s take a look at the Personal Access Code (PAC) which is required and mandatory for logging into your My Service Canada Account (MSCA) and accessing the EI Benefits.

Service Canada Contact Details

For any further questions you may have regarding EI or MSCA access – You can reach Service Canada at the toll-free number – 1-800-206-7218 between morning 8.30 to 4.30 pm. 

What Is The Difference Between a My Service Canada Account (MSCA) and My CRA Account? 

The My Service Canada Account or MSCA and CRA My Account are two different services from each of the Federal Government Agencies.

Basically, CRA provides you with tax information, while Service Canada deals with EI payments, CPP, OAS and other government services.

Although each of these services can be accessed individually with your own login, it is now possible to login to one service and then switches to the other without having to log in again. 

How To Access MSCA From A Public Computer? (Safety Measures)

Here are some exclusive tips to follow when accessing the MSCA online service using a shared computer in a public area such as in a library or at school:
  • Make sure you do not leave the computer unattended while you are connected to MSCA

  • Be aware of the people around you as they can try to view your personal information while you are entering it into the computer or application

  • Make sure you pick up your print-outs at the public printer as soon as you have signed out of the website. Never leave them just lying there and you continue browsing the web to only pick up later

  • Before leaving the public computer, it is important for you to completely log out of the MSCA website, clear the browser’s cache and cookies, and close down every window open so that no one else can access the personal information you had entered.


There you go, just to recap, The My Service Canada Account (MSCA) is a free tool from Service Canada. It’s a really useful online platform with many benefits. If you live in Canada, then you should register for the MSCA account online. 

I’ve thoroughly listed all the benefits and features of using this tool.

Also, regarding the Employment Insurance or EI Reports Online, I’ve given plenty of useful information.

If you applying for online EI Payments and having any difficulties, please let me know in the comments below and I’ll be more than happy to help you. 

46 thoughts on “How To Use A My Service Canada Account And Report EI Online (2020)”

  1. I had no idea I actually needed an access code for this. Someone mentioned this service account to me at work and I could not for the life of me figure out how it works. I need to get more online savvy. Thank you for the information. I am going to follow these instructions right now and get myself signed up!

  2. I’m a small business owner, and I’m glad to see that I can contribute to this. It’s a reminder I need to act now and not later when thinking of the future! This is very helpful!

  3. My mom gets EI. But she doesn’t have direct deposit setup. I’m going to forward her this guide. I will be using the MSCA to get an estimate of my CPP.

  4. THANK YOU for this easy to follow guide on how to get a My Service Canada Account. You should work for them because it’s honestly easier to follow your steps then it is to try to untangle their info.

  5. Before now filing EI reports seemed like a very daunting task, but I feel like I know exactly what I’m doing with the help of this article

  6. I know a few people that are going to love this guide, it just makes everything so much easier, I appreciate it!

  7. great information! I did not online EI application 2 days ago, and it said to await access code via mail. do you know how long that takes? also, unable to check status online currently in my account, is it because I do not have the access code yet? many thanks. keep well.

    • Hey PJ, thanks for your comment.

      To answer your question, due to this COVID-19 issue I am not sure how long it will take to get the mail. Before the COVID-19 pandemic issue, it used to take a max of 2 weeks to get the access code. Now, God alone knows due to the lockdown and slowness around. I do hope you get it quickly, but do expect delays. Blessings and prayers for you and your family. Please stay safe and indoors.

  8. I’m confused. I submitted my EI report online for the last two weeks but there was never aN option to note how many hours you missed working during that period. Is that just based on the avg weekly wage reported when you first apply for EI?
    I thought reporting online would require you to note how many hours you would have worked…

    • Hi Jen,

      Thanks for your comment, let me clarify your point here, with the knowledge I have –

      1. Once you apply for EI, you need to submit the online report once every two weeks to be paid (bi-weekly). IF you don’t submit the online report, you won’t be paid (I did this mistake so)
      2. In continuation to point #1, while you submit your EI report online with the number of hours worked (40 hrs), the system will ask you for a couple of questions before you can actually submit the report – like were you outside Canada for the past 2 weeks, did you attend any trainings, did you earn any income apart from the EI benefit you are eligible for. This is where it gets a little tricky, if you have worked while getting your EI payments, you have to report it here and then this will reduce your bi-weekly benefit amount. EI payments as is, is quite low. Aren’t people supposed to make something more ? not sure why these policies are in place. Anyways!

      Apart from reporting the income, while out of work and receiving the EI benefits, I don’t think you have much to remember. The number of hours is standard every week. so yes, it is the average working hours per week. Hope I answered.


      • I did answer all those questions but during the report, somehow it seemed far too simple and I feel like I missed something. I worked zero hours during the two week period I reported online. There was no option to put “zero” hours worked, maybe it is just implied unless otherwise stated? I feel like an idiot lol

        Also my employer told gave me an end date but now that has changed.
        Does that require a phone call or do you know if that can be adjusted during the next report?
        My end date was March 31 so my first report was for a two week period, ending March 27 and now my next report is due April 3.. only a single week, I assume due to the end date.
        Looks like I will be out of work for several more weeks due to covid… and it’s impossible to get ahold of anyone at services Canada. Thank you so so much!

        • First of all please take a deep breath and relax, I totally get your situation. It’s tough out there with this COVID and the entire globe is in a mess. Not having a job now, is a nightmare for anyone. So please relax!

          Coming to your point – You are absolutely right Jen, there is no way in the system (while EI reporting online) that you can enter “zero” while filing the EI Report. All you can do is to complete all the fields (questionnaires) to the truest of your knowledge and submit it. That’s all. Service Canada backend folks will/should take care of the rest. I did the same too and got all of my payments on time and everytime. If that helps 🙂

          Next, In my case, when I had lost my job, my employer paid me a severance package for nearly 2 months and my ROE was submitted electronically in a week. However, without wasting any time, I did register to receive EI in a week, just to be safe. Guess what, I started receiving my EI payments on time, every time. One other thing that I can mention here is that you should be receiving a letter from the Service Canada folks regarding your EI application and when you will start receiving your first payment, have you received that yet? The letter I received had all the information about the severance package, wait times etc.

          In simpler words, if your ROE from the employer has the right information (for laid-off/valid reasons to be eligible to receive EI) you should be good. I remember, there is a certain code they enter on the ROE for laid off, it can’t be “fired” I guess. So please double check on that too.

          Finally, please don’t worry much about the next due date. All you can do is complete the EI reports online every single time and look out for payments until you feel comfortable.

          Reaching out to Service Canada folks right now is a nightmare. Please have faith in the system and do everything you can, leave the rest to karma 🙂 Thank you.

  9. Thank you so much.
    It sounds like I did the online reporting fine and without issue… I’ll see what happens when I report next Friday …maybe there will be the option that I did not return back to work?
    It’s becoming a full time job to get ahold of EI. The ROE is correct with “laid off”.
    I have not received any other communication from EI about receiving payment. Hopefully I get that in the next few business days.
    As for the end date, I would hope it doesn’t require a phone call and I am able to keep reporting after this week going forward.
    Guess we will see.

    Thank you for your clarity on this matter. Very frustrating navigating the system right now.

  10. I don’t know which websites I make My Service Canada Account plus Apply EI I try so many times but not working and Service Canada Centre is close so sad 😰😰😰😰😰😰

    • Hi Farida,

      There is only one My Service Canada Account (Canadian Government Official Website) and here is the link to login –

      If you have trouble signing-on to your MSCA account – do check out the “Ask our chatbot” on the above login page. I have tried using it and its great. (O believe the government has launched this feature since the telephone lines are slow and jammed due to COVID-19. Hopefully, your issues will be resolved soon. Let me know if any other issues, will answer to the best of my knowledge.

  11. Hello I am looking for some help.

    I tried to apply for an access code for my and my family members after we were laid off last week.

    I received a 7 digitPAC by mail.
    Can I use this to apply for EI or do I need the 4 digit access code


    • Hi Sierra,

      First of all, I’m really sorry for you and your family members being laid off. I hope you get over this phase pretty soon. Best wishes and prayers to you.

      Regarding your question, so you have already received the Personal Access Code (PAC) which is the 7-digit code. But, with this, you can’t register for the EI Benefits. For the EI, you’ll have to wait for the four-digit EI Access Code that is printed on the benefit statement mailed to you after you apply for Employment Insurance (4-digit code can be found in the shaded area of the mail). I hope this information helps and you get the EI access code soon. Take care.

      • Why is the government sending 7 digit codes if they do nothing? I never received my initial 4 digit code and when I requested a new one to be sent out I was sent a 7 digit PAC. Sending the wrong codes to people seems like a waste of time when they should be focusing on helping those in need, am I wrong?

        • Hi Jef,

          There’s nothing wrong with what you said.

          I’m not sure why this system is in place. It can definitely be simplified, corrected and made a lot better, for easy access and logging in.

          With that said, I’ve no other hand with this, what is there, is there. I’m just trying to pass the knowledge. That’s all!

          But one thing I can definitely say is, the Canadian Government is doing everything it can to help the needy, but the number of people impacted right now is way out of proportion, so what would anyone do, you can’t just blame the government for everything. They are just not able to handle the number of calls and requests at the moment.


  12. Hi I am looking for help.

    I have already applied EI on March 18, 2020 and when I opened my MSCA acct, this is what it said:

    “You do not currently have any online information to view within the View my status and correspondence page.” I just want to know what this means? So that I can re-apply again if ever? and how long does it usually take for it to be approved? Thank you so much and hope you can get back.

    • Hello again Czarina,

      From what I understand, due to COVID-19 thousands of people’s jobs have been impacted and therefore delays processing the request.

      As you have applied on March 18th, I would suggest you wait for some time, give it some more time. If it was not for COVID-19, your status would have been updated by now. Please have patience, there’s nothing else you need to do from your end after applying. Just relax and wait, it will be updated soon. Also look out for the EI Benefits mail, you should be getting one shortly with the EI access code in it.

  13. And also, when are you supposed to submit bi-weekly reports? Should you submit report even if your application is still processing or you have to wait to be approved and then you can start reporting your bi-weekly?

    • Hi Czarina,

      You need to submit the EI reports once your application is approved and you start receiving the bi-weekly payments. You’ll receive the EI Benefits Statements mail once you have applied with the benefits start date and the eligible amount. So do look out for that info.

      While the application is still in the approval process, you need not have to submit the EI report. I hope this answers your question. Thanks!

  14. So when I was temp worker with “9” starting SIN and had few ROE on that SIN. Now I’m PR, of course SIN changed to “1” but when I logged into my MSCA the ROE were not there. How can i get those ROE linked/transferred to my “1” SIN account?

  15. HI. hope all is well. I am 33 weeks pregnant now and due to pandemic i was laid off from work. my employer didn’t want me expose so he started not giving me anymore schedule. I applied for ei online and have submitted roe’s from previous work. The only problem i had now is my last employer is giving me a hard time obtaining the roe. He has so many excuses to begin with. I keep reminding him after my last day of work and its been 3 weeks now and he has not done it yet. it has been causing me so much anxiety.
    just a few days ago i have received through mail my access code. so i register at my service account. what i don’t understand is do i have to submit the last needed roe first to be able for me to access the internet report service. or have the decision made status. i absolutely have no idea what to do now. i tried to fill up the information needed like sin #,access code and province but it keeps saying we cannot accept report online. i need to mail or call. it is frustrating please enlighten me.

    • Hi Shane,

      I’m really sorry for you in these tough times. Before recommending anything, I’ll request you to please contact the Service Canada helpline number (1-800-206-7218) and talk to them about your exact situation and ask for possible solutions. I am sure they will help you out.

      From what I know and understand, yes you need to have the ROE in place and the decision status of your EI application in place before you can submit the EI Report online. That’s the reason probably the system is not accepting your EI report. Do call Service Canada, there may be delays, that’s ok, wait for your turn and talk to them. That’s the best possible solution here.

      Also, if things always don’t work the ways you want it to work, there are other ways to get it done. So explore those as well. In these situations, especially that you are 33 weeks pregnant, I am not sure why your boss is delaying giving you the ROE and helping you with the funds you need (at least a couple of weeks pay). We are humans first and job is something next. Don’t worry much, relax, things will be ok. All the best.


  16. Hi there! I received my PAC before my access code so I used the PAC to register for MSCA. However, when I go to the status information for my EI, there is nothing. Maybe we are supposed to register with the acess code instead? But I already registered with PAC so I dont know what to do. There is some info I need to change but I cannot do so. I have tried calling to see if anything is going on with my application but lines are swamped. Also, when I go to “complete my EI report online” it says that they have not yet established a claim for me…truly, this is stressing me out because I want to know what went wrong and if I have to re-apply… Thanks in advance for any advice !!

    • Hi Kristina,

      I totally get what you’re going through here, my only suggestion would be to call the Service Canada folks and talk to them to resolve the issue further.

      Please do not re-apply or resubmit your EI application whatsoever. It will complicate things further as your SIN is tracked for your earnings and EI payments. You are not able to submit the EI report because of your application being processed, might be due to the huge pileup. Once your application is processed, you should be able to see the EI benefit statement, which should point you towards the benefits start date, amount you’ll receive etc. So do lookout for that.

      I know its hard on you, especially calling Service Canada folks and getting a hold of them, but it’s inevitable, you have to do it, even if it takes half a day of your time its well worth getting it sorted out. Please do that. I really hope your things get resolved soon.


  17. Hello Sagar .i.m not computer literate So capitals .full stops and commas may sometimes be in the wrong spot.But here goes— I have a PAC and SIN –accessed the hot line to E.I. –entered them –then expecting to be forwarded to an agent by pressing 0 i was informed –due to high volume we are unable to process your call please call again later—I have , luckily getting through –same responce It is strange —after actually getting past the line busy tone —to getting thru then being told to try again later——-???????

    • Hey Keith,

      Unfortunately, that’s the norm right now with Service Canada helpline numbers. We all have to deal with this, there are probably thousands calling the helpline numbers every single day for various problems they are facing be it access/employment-related benefits.

      All I can say or suggest is please have lots of patience, this is just a phase with the pandemic around, also every information is available on so do check that out and apply for the benefits if you are eligible for. Do dial in early for better chances of the connection.

      Cheers, Sagar


Leave a Comment