magicJack is a VoIP enabled USB device that plugs to your computer’s USB port. Getting started with this device is pretty simple and you can make unlimited FREE calls to the US, Canada and worldwide. If you wish so, you can even port your existing Canadian/US phone number over to magicJack. There’s also a FREE 30 day no questions asked trial period for you to try.
In this article, let’s take a deep dive into how magicJack works, all the benefits and features, pros and cons and how it compares to other similar products in the market – BasicTalk, Fongo Mobile and Skype. Now, let’s get started.
What Is magicJack?
magicJack is a VoIP (Voice over internet protocol) that connects to your computer’s USB port and has an R-11 phone jack used to make unlimited free calls.
The magicJack device works exclusively with the company’s landline supplier and competitive local exchange carrier, YMAX.
All your voicemails are stored on the magicJack servers and are then delivered via direct telephone access, and email by using the WAV audio file attachments.
The best use case of magicJack is, you can retain your existing Canadian/US wireless phone number and port it over to make calls over VoIP.
Benefits Of Using magicJack
Now, that we know what magicJack is, let us look at the benefits and features of this device.
1. With magicJack, you’ll get FREE unlimited calls to the US and Canada
2. You get to keep your existing phone number and port it over to magicJack (optional)
3. Also, you can make international voice calls for FREE (magicJack to magicJack calls)
How Do I Connect magicJack?
There are two ways to connect or set up magicJack:
1. Connect With A High-Speed Modem
Plug your provided Ethernet cord into the port labelled “INTERNET”
Plug your phone into the port labelled “PHONE” on your magicJack
Connect the provided power adapter to your magicJack USB
Plug your magicJack into a power outlet
Visit mjreg.com on your computer, tablet or smartphone. Follow the on-screen instructions to register with your personal information or log into your existing account. You will be given the option to select a number during the registration process
2. Connect With Your Computer
Plug your phone into the port labelled “PHONE” on your magicJack. Optional – Connect the provided USB extension to your magicJack
Plug your magicJack into a USB port on your computer
You will see an auto-play dialogue box with a button “Start magicJack” – Click this button to start the installation process
If you DO NOT see the auto-play dialogue box and are on a Windows computer please open the file explorer by pressing on your keyboard Windows+E, locate the option that says “magicJack” under the CD/DVD section and run “autorun.exe”
Visit mjreg.com on your computer or select the purple “Click here to register” option at the bottom of the dial pad window
Follow the on-screen instructions to register with your personal information or log into your existing account. You will be given the option to select a number during the registration process
How Is magicJack’s Call Quality? Is it Reliable?
Here’s what PC Magazine has to say about magicJack’s call quality – “magicJack’s call quality is amazing.. almost too good to be true…everybody should try it.”
Having a VoIP enabled device enables you to make ultra low cost calls using your existing internet connection.
magicJack offers the most affordable option for VoIP calls. All you need is a reliable high-speed internet connection to make and receive free phone calls.
The call quality is good and reliable, moreover, you can carry magicJack devices to where ever you go. Nowadays, almost every cafe, shopping malls or hotel you check into you will have the guest internet service to stay connected with friends and family.
How Much Does magicJack Cost?
If you are a new user, the magicJack device will cost you $39 for the annual package.
If you are already convinced or have used the magicJack services before, you can go for the three-year package starting at $89, which is better worth for the money you pay (89-39*3). That’s $28 in savings over three years.
magicApp is exclusively available on the iOS and Android App stores.
Every magicJack device comes pre-installed with the magicApp. With that said let’s look at all the benefits and features of downloading the magicApp here.
Benefits and Features Of Using magicApp
1. You can make and receive unlimited FREE calls on your mobile phone (internet connectivity or mobile data connection is required)
2. You’ll also be able to make and receive unlimited FREE voice calls from the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico & U.S. Virgin Islands over WiFi or 3G/4G/LTE
3. Send or receive FREE unlimited text messages to any U.S. mobile number
4. You get the FREE worldwide calling from magicApp to other magicApp or magicApp to magicJack devices. And it works seamlessly.
5. You’ll never ever consume your mobile carrier minutes when you use the magicApp on WIFI to make calls or text
6. By default, the Caller ID is pulled from your mobile phone’s contact list so you’ll always know who is calling and can decide to answer the call or not (especially for unknown spam callers)
7. Also, you get to access additional magicApp features such as voicemail, call waiting, call forwarding and much more
8. You will have the option to purchase low-cost International Prepaid Credits (to call countries such as India, Puerto Rico, China etc)
magicJackHome is the USB device that we have been talking about all this while. It’s loaded with a ton of features and benefits as you know by now.
There’s a one time fee of $39.99 (regular price is $59.99) when you buy the device and you’ll be getting first 12 months free.
Benefits and Features Of The magicJackHome
1. When you pay $39.99, first 12 Months of Service is already Included + you get the USB device for FREE
2. You can then make FREE unlimited calls to and from the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico & U.S. Virgin Islands
3. Make or receive FREE unlimited calls anytime to your FREE magicApp
4. If you don’t have an existing US or Canadian cellular phone number yet, you have the option to choose a New U.S. or Canadian Phone Number
5. You have the luxury to port your existing number. However, note that there is a one time fee of $19.95 to port your number over to magicJAck and start using their services
6. You get Free unlimited calls between magicJack to magicJack device – anywhere across the globe
7. You will also get a free conference call number as part of being a magicJack consumer
8. Basic cellular facilities such as Free Caller ID, Voicemail, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, 911 Service
9. Last but not least there absolutely “No Contract” whatsoever – So you have the luxury to try magicJack and ditch them if you dont like their service or call quality.
What is the magicJack Concierge? Why do you need this?
magicJack’s premium support system is called Concierge.
Now, let me be frank here – You may not require this at all, but if you do want to purchase it, it’s going to cost you $14.99 for one year of service.
With magicJack Concierge you will enjoy the convenience of premium, hassle-free tech support and discounts on the device replacement (Just like Apple Care to make it easy for you to understand). You can connect with them anytime from Monday to Friday between 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST
magicJack’s Concierge has phone support, premium support or a device replacement
How To Install The magicJack Device?
Setting up the magicJack device is pretty easy. With a few simple steps, you’ll be able to make and receive phone calls using your internet and home phone. Let’s look at how to do it here –
1. First of all, connect your magicJackHOME USB device to a highspeed internet connection
2. Next, connect the other end of the magicJackHOME to your existing home phone
That’s it! With this simple two-step process, you’ll be able to make unlimited FREE calls both locally and internationally to 100+ countries.
Is magicJack FREE To Try?
Of course yes. From what I’ve seen, it looks like you can try their product for free first 30 days and only then you’ll be charged on the 31st day for the subscription package.
However, keep in mind that in order to avail this offer you need to key in your credit card details for the FREE 30 day no charge trial run. They are strictly against you using the debit card for the trial FREE run.
How Does magicJack Compare With Skype?
Skype is a household name and almost everybody knows Skype’s call and messaging services. It is one of the premium messengers for long-distance calling and texting. Let’s briefly look at how magicJack compares with Skype and what the difference here.
Here is a list of some of the comparisons and differences between magicJack and Skype.
1. magicJack can be used without a computer
Skype must be used on a computer or phone, with software installed and the device must be turned on to call or message
2. magicJack is an easy-to-use portable device that allows you to use a traditional telephone handset to make and receive calls.
Skype is a software program and accessories must be purchased separately
3. magicJack’s software runs automatically – no external support required.
Skype’s software must be installed on your computer to make or receive calls
4. magicJack utilizes a dedicated telephone network and provides crystal-clear call quality
Skype uses a peer-to-peer network
5. You get a free phone number with every magicjack connection
Skype will charge you up to $72.00/per year for a telephone number
6. magicjack provides you with free voicemail
Skype will charge you up to $24.00/per year for using voicemail
How Do You Access A New Voicemail Message On magicJack?
In order to access your voice mail, you can set up a custom dial tone through your magicJack account portal.
With this feature on, you will receive notifications every time you have a new voicemail.
To enable the voicemail feature, log into your account at my.magicJack.com, click on “Call Features”, select “Advanced”, and check the box for “Voice Message Indicator”. You can also send your voicemail to the email address you designate in your account in a .wav file format.
How Do I Block Certain Incoming Calls With magicJack?
Yes, the call blocking feature is available with magicJack.
Using your my.magicjack.com portal, you can easily block up to 99 telephone numbers.
When a telephone number on your blocked number list attempts to contact you, you will receive a busy signal, and your phone will not ring.
How To Add A New Blocked Number To Your magicJack?
To Block a number on magicJack, follow the below steps –
Log in to the my.magicjack.com portal
Hover your mouse over the Call Features tab (but do not click)
Click the Call Blocking option.
Each of your magicJack numbers will be listed on the left-hand side of this page. In the middle column (labelled Call Block List), you will see all of your currently-blocked numbers, as well as an option to add additional numbers
To add a number, enter the 10-digit phone number you would like to block in the text box found underneath the Call Block List. Click Quick Add.
If this is your first time entering a telephone number to block, once you click Quick Add, the Call Blocking feature will automatically be turned on. If you have previously utilized the Call Blocking feature but had turned it off in the past, you will need to manually re-enable the feature via the ON/OFF toggle found under the right-hand Call Blocking ON/OFF column
How To Edit An Existing Blocked Numbers?
Log in to the my.magicjack.com portal
Hover your mouse over the Call Features tab (but do not click)
Click the Call Blocking option
Each of your magicJack numbers will be listed on the left-hand side of this page. In the middle column (labelled Call Block List), click the Edit List option to view the full list of blocked numbers for the associated magicJack telephone number
Once the full list of telephone numbers is displayed, you are presented with options for each entry
Add or Change a Nickname: You can add a nickname for each blocked telephone number on your list. Providing nicknames for the numbers in your Call Block List can be helpful in the event that you need to make further modifications to your list in the future. To add or change a nickname, just enter your preferred label in the text box next to the appropriate phone number, and click Update
Remove a Number from the Call Block List: Click the “–” (minus) icon in the Add/Remove column to remove the associated telephone number from your Call Block List
How To Forward magicJack calls To My Cell Phone?
Yes, magicJack has a Call Forwarding feature that will forward all incoming calls to the phone number of your choosing.
In order to set up this feature, log in to your account then select the “Call Forwarding” option under the “Call Features” tab and follow the system prompts.
There you go, magicJack is a wonderful device to make free unlimited local and long-distance calls to Canada/US and worldwide at pretty affordable rates. You can do this all while travelling or on the go with basic internet connectivity.
You can also port your existing phone number to magicJack and start using the service within a few minutes. The monthly/annual plan costs with magicJack Go are extremely affordable too! Do give it a try as you have a free 30 day period, in case you don’t like the service or call reliability.
From my brief encounter with it, the product feels extremely reliable and the call quality is amazingly good to be true.
If you found the content of this article to be useful and helpful, please share this on social media and help spread the word. Also, don’t forget to let me know your thoughts and comments below.
Top 10 Popular Posts Of All Time
- FREE Unlimited Calls To Canada, US and Wordwide
- Easy To Set Up
- Nice Add-Ons like call forwarding, block calls etc
- Annual Subscription package which might drive you away!
- Internet Required to make or receive calls
- Number porting costs $19.99